Saturday, March 14, 2009

Papa is "da man" - well, sorta

With Kelly being under the weather, I headed over to the orphanage on my own. He was quite concerned that Mama wasn't there, but he figured out she was ill.

I gotta admit that the dynamic with Daniel is different when it's just me with him instead of the pair of us. Kelly, of course, is more nurturing and has a seemingly inexhaustible amount of ideas of what to do with our boy. I winged it the best I could and was pretty successful.

Our "clinic-mates" (http://www.czeropski.blogspot.com/) gave me a mini-soccer ball (how nice!) and we spent quite a bit of time kicking it back and forth. Kelly and I have been trying to tell if Daniel is right- or left-handed as he colors with both hands, etc. For about a half-hour tonight, we tossed the ball and he is WAY more accurate with his right hand. Also, he definitely defers to his right foot when kicking so we're leaning that way.

Big news of the day (okay, not that big) - I found out what makes him more focused than when he sees a stray cat or dog... While we were outside playing, it started to slightly drizzle. Daniel was oblivious since he was more interested in throwing the ball and watching Papa go after it. When I pointed out to him that it was, in fact, raining, he IMMEDIATELY called out, "Groupa" and took off for the inside. He even passed within about 10 feet of a stray cat and didn't give it a second look. Folks here, understandably, are very, very concerned about illnesses. Obviously, they've impressed upon the children that they must immediately get out of the rain.

Another thing about the boy - he takes after his dad when he was Daniel's age in that he loves toy armymen. We gave him a set of cowboys and Indians to play with and he loves them. He doesn't quite get the idea of the cowboys actually fighting the Indians - it's a free-for-all where his favorites (the yellow-shirted cowboy and the blue-pantsed Indian with a tomahawk and knife) always seem to win. He's in for a real surprise when he inherits all of my toy armymen (about 1000 of them) from when I was a kid!

I was hoping that we'd be able to see a soccer game while we were in town (there's a semi-pro team in the city), but there's no games scheduled in the immediate future. There's a chance we're going to see some college volleyball on Tuesday, though. Perhaps when we head back to Kiev, we'll be able to see one.

Otherwise, we're trying to keep busy. We have watched a couple of movies with the Czeropski's. Last night was "Death Race" and tonight we watched the first episode of "Band of Brothers". We're also doing our Bible studies, of course. Kelly is doing a Beth Moore study and I'm working on my Discipleship Curriculum. We've also done a 1000 piece puzzle and are getting ready to tackle a 2000 piece.

I noticed on the map that we're fairly closed to Moldova. I checked Geocaching.com and there are 4 caches in that country. I plugged them into my GPS this afternoon and, unfortunately, the nearest one is over 100 miles from us so we won't be able to add another country to our list of finds.

Anyhow, Kelly is getting better. She slept all afternoon which helped her out. We'll see in the morning if she's up to going to church or not.

We hope that everyone is doing well at home. We truly miss everyone. Thanks for keeping us in your prayers and thoughts!

Oh yeah - Go Cards in the Big East Championship game!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, show him some volleyball, then us old folks can have something to teach him. So sorry you are under the weather Kelly, I will help cheer on the Cards!
Jason, I am sure you did a great job.

Have to tell you that sometimes when I read your blog I get all chocked up ... have to let Dennis read on his own to prevent the crackling voice. I so happy for you two. We are praying for your new family. We know he has this all planned out. Love you guys, Dennis & Me

Carol C. said...

Hope Kelly is feeling better in the morning. Sounds like you and Daniel had a great 'guys' day. I'm sure the first of many to come. Keep up the good work papa.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear was under the weather but I am sure you did just fine with Daniel...Lots of dad and son days ahead..Sounds like all is going well..We continue to pray for all three of you and miss you alot..I'll update you on the Championship game after church tomorrow...Miss you guys and be safe


Love ya,
Debbie and Dave

Fiddlin' Mark said...

Hi Jason, Kelly hope you're feeling better today. Jason, thought you might get a kick out of this. Thought of you because apparently it was put together by a teacher in Louisville. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXkDbGdD4Q

Carol C. said...

Go Cards...U of L wins Big East Tournament, beat Syracuse 76-66
Hope you got to watch the game. I did not watch the game because when I don't watch them they win. I know it is crazy but I am still not going to watch them.

Anonymous said...

Parent tip: How to tell right from left handed. Simply hand Daniel something. He will naturally reach out to take it with his "handed" hand.
Jason, you are doing great! Being a dad doesn't happen naturally overnight! Love ya! Sharon B.

Anonymous said...

We are the BIG EAST CHAMPS....We are a number one seed and play in Dayton on friday...no times have been set yet..Hope you are feeling better Kelly and got to spend the day with Daniel...Love you all and many prayers are being prayed over you...miss ya and cant wait to meet Daniel when the time is right...

Love all of you,
Dahbee & Dave

Carol C. said...

Hope Kelly is feeling better and got to spend the time with Daniel today. I leave tomorrow for a business trip all next week. Can't wait to catch up on the blogs when I return.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, hope you're feeling better. Especially, since your Cards won!

I found this poem and thought it was really sweet.

Today I kissed an angel.
I knew it from the start.
The first time my angel smiled at me;
I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel;
This angel child of mine
Though not of my creation,
My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel.
My heart is dancing wild;
Our family, by a miracle;
Blessed by our angel child.

Anonymous said...

Jason, Kelly, and DANIEL,

My sincerest congratulations! I can picture the incredible smiles on your faces! Praying for continued happiness on your trip.