Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Daniel Anatoly Karlen

It's official!! We are parents!!!!! Sorry no post yesterday. The internet at the clinic is down and we knew you all would be dying to find out so we stopped at an internet cafe to give you the news.

We felt totally covered in prayer yesterday and court was a breeze. We both stood up and spoke our intentions. We requested to adopt this boy, have his birth certificate updated to list us as his mother and father, and change his name to Daniel Anatoly Karlen. (we are retaining his given name for his middle name) Once all of the petitions and legalese are read in court, then they send us out to deliberate (there were 2 jurors present). They called us back in, and read the decision.......Jason Richard Karlen and Kelly Ann Karlen are now the parents of Daniel Anatoly Karlen. I have to tell you, we both choked up when the judge said it. At that very moment we became parents. WOW!! Praise God for all of His wonderful blessings. We are so humbled to see His hand moving in our lives and feel so blessed to have this little boy.

I turned to Jason and said, 'Well, you're a papa now!' They all understood that, and then there were laughs, hugs, handshakes and congratulations all around. What a day! The whole proceeding was over in about 45 minutes.

I know you are scrolling down and feeling gyped right now. Where are the pictures?? Well, we need to wait until he is ours - just to make sure nothing can go wrong. (I know - worried mama) We will definitely post at the end of the waiting period! (2 weeks) Just trust us when we say - he is a cutie! We are such proud parents.

After court, we went out to celebrate. We tried a new restaurant by the bowling alley. (yes - we are planning to try our hand at bowling later) It was kind of a bar and grille type of place. Jason and I were both in the mood for a burger and fries. They don't really have the same thing as a hamburger here (except at McDonalds) but we got something similar. I don't have my card reader with me, so I will post a photo tomorrow.

Due to court, we missed our morning visit. When we went at 4:00, we had Oksana tell Daniel that we went to see the judge this morning and he said that we are now his mama and papa forever! He said, 'good' and then ran off to the playground. Not quite the excitement that we had. We think he already thought that we were his mama and papa - so what's the big deal? And what's a judge anyway?

Oksana went home to be with her family for the next 2 weeks so we are flying solo. We only had to call her 3 times today for translations. Not too bad! I am speaking more and more Ukrainian - it's kinda scary!

So, what do you think of the new name? His nickname is 'Tolic' so we have been calling him Daniel Tolic, to get him used to it. (and sometimes just Daniel - to see if he will answer) Today I asked him, ' Coch Tibeya Zavoot?' (what's your name?) and he said, Daniel Tolic. We were so proud. (we haven't told him about the Karlen yet - one name change at a time!)

Jason is chomping at the bit for me to tell you what happened today..... When we arrived at the orphanage this morning, he came running - all smiles as usual. He always gives us BIG hugs, which we love. First mama and then papa. We cover him with kisses and he laughs. Today he actually kissed Jason on the cheek first. How about that? What a sweetie! No, mama didn't get a kiss, but I fully expect it tomorrow!!

We are hoping that the internet at the clinic will be back up soon and we can post with regularity and share some more pictures of our adventures. If we are silent for awhile - you will know what's going on.....

THANK YOU for all of your prayers and encouragement. We are having a great time and are so excited about our new son. We can't wait to share him with you all. We love and miss you!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You will make great parent. We are looking forward to more picutes and experiences.

Carol C. said...

CONGRATULATIONS, new mama and papa. I am so glad to see this posting. Don't tell work but I have been checking about ever 15 minutes since yesterday. I have been saying prayers each time. I knew you both would win them over and I don't feel gyped with no pictures. I am tearing up with happiness for you so I don't think I could see the pictures anyway. Enjoy the bowling and I can’t wait to hear you speak in your newly learned language. Remember I have somebody who can tell me if you are correct and what you are saying. Congratulations and I love his name.

Alan said...

Congratulations, how great!

Anonymous said...

I weep for joy for all three of you every time I read (I should have never checked for an update from work!). Congratulations on the latest good news!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord and amen! We are so happy for all three of you. We are counting the days until you will be back on Kentucky soil. That little guy is going to have an exciting new world open up to him and he will have the best guides ever to lead him through it.
We pray that God will richly bless the new Karlen family. Love and miss you.
Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the whole new Karlen family! What a beautiful name for your son, mixing the new and the old. Today is our son's birthday (he's our younger child) and, reading your words, I can tell that you are feeling EXACTLY the way we did thirty years ago. There is simply no other feeling like that of becoming a parent.

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

Great news!!! It's hard to believe you're already half-way through the process!!! Where's the pics?! Can't wait to see Daniel.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Great news, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO HAPPY for you both. Congratulations - he sounds like quite a JOY! He'll start teaching you everything you need to know soon enough right. Congrats again and God bless your happy family!

Neil

Anonymous said...

YIPEE.....We are so excited for you guys..I have been checking and praying so much that I felt like the Lord was saying " ok Debbie, I know what you are praying about and it will be ok...but I kept praying anyway...I am so excited for all three of you...What a blessing he will be to you and you all to him...Take care and hurry home ( in two weeks) ... cant wait to meet Daniel..

Love and Prayer to all three of you,
Debbie & David

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We have been following your journey, thank you for posting. We are thrilled for you and so excited.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear it went smooth! Have you told Daniel Tolic about Mark Martin yet? LOL

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah, praise the Lord! We are so happy for the both of you. Can't wait to see your little blessing. Joe and Linda

Carrie said...

Congratulations of completing your process. It sounds like your sweet boy considered you his parents already. Such a sweet story. But yes, I feel totally jipped. I have been waiting for this day... I guess I'll just wait another two weeks. :) Enjoy the rest of your time. It sounds like you are all having a great time.

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo Daniel Anatoly Kalren!

Congratulations Karlen Family, the Parkers are happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kelly and Jason! This is wonderful news. I hope you continue to enjoy your Ukrainian adventure. I look forward to meeting Daniel when you are all back home.
Angie Nord

Anonymous said...

You'll both be just wonderful as parents! Congrats on your son Daniel and thank goodness we no longer have to call him "The Boy" any more.

All my best to the 3 of you and enjoy your "waiting period" now that the hardest part is over.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Here's my second message of congratulations. I saw the notice on facebook first, and now that I have seen his name I am even happier for the three of you.

Hope your travels home are uneventful.

Daniel Anthony Krieg (same initials too!), Michelle, James & Julia (I would have included Buster our dog but he read the blog about the chasing habit.)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you got my comments or not, but the funny thing is, after I sent it, I thought Daniel, Daniel might be his name. Wa La! Daniel it is and what a mighty fine name it is. We are so excited for you two. We have the usual drama going on here, so it is nice to escape to the Ukraine with you, especially since it is all good news.

Can wait for the pictures only because we have no other choice.

Love you guys, Dennis & SAndy

Anonymous said...

Praise Him - He can move mountains.
We are so excited. I cried - especially the part where he kissed Jason first. You three are so prayed over. Tell Daniel Tolic we love him to death and cannot wait to see him and take him to the park. Let me know what date you want for the party when things get closer. I guessed the name. Love the Prestons and Louie