Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Grade, first week

Did I mention that Daniel was going to grow a tomato plant this summer? I thought it might be a good science project for him over the summer (and I love to eat tomatoes). I told him it was his responsibility, he had to water it all summer and we would see what happened. This was him on Memorial day doing the planting:


He was good about watering all summer long - even reminding me when I didn't feel like it. And here is our little farmer at the end of summer:







He did so great, we might actually plant BIG tomatoes next year!



The beginning of school has been rough. Daniel's latest stunt is running away when he gets in trouble. He is running off from the teacher and it's very dangerous. We're doing everything we can think of to discourage this behavior. I knew that a transition to a new school would be tough, but I didn't anticipate it would be like this. We are hopeful that if we stay consistent, he will learn that this is not acceptable. He hasn't even been there a week yet, so we need to give him time. I know he was nervous on the first day. He said to me on the way there, 'Mom, will you go with me?' Of course! I wouldn't miss it! But that shows me that he was nervous. Check out this face.....





Not a happy camper, huh? We have had a lot of screaming and crying and standing in the corner and drama at our house. We would appreciate your prayers as Daniel adjusts to yet another change in his life. He is a tough guy! And that sweet smile is never far off. On Friday they were supposed to dress like a character from a book we read this summer. We chose 'Froggy goes to camp'. I know you can't tell from this picture, but his hat is a frog face and he has a bowl of BUGS for lunch!


'If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.' James 1:5

We are clinging to that verse and praying for wisdom and discernment in parenting this special little boy!

No comments: