Friday, May 1, 2009

First Birthday Party!!

Today our little boy turned 5. My dad asked me if I could remember what I was doing 5 years ago today - because that's when Daniel was being born. Wow - what a thought! We were living in St. Louis and unaware that the boy who would change our lives was making his appearance.


We didn't want to over-do our celebration and overwhelm him, but we had to make the most of his birthday! Before I left Ukraine I asked Galya to teach me the Ukrainian word for Birthday so I could tell him what day it is. She asked him if he knew what a birthday was and he didn't. He had never celebrated his birthday before - so today was another first!!


We spent the day at the zoo. (thanks Andrew and Meredith!) It was an amazing time for him. We tried to tell him about the animals he would see, but I don't think anything could prepare him for actually seeing them up close and in person - giraffe, monkeys, penguins, lions, snakes, rhinos. He kept saying, 'WOW!' It was so fun for us to enjoy the time with him. We will really enjoy that zoo membership this summer!! Here are a few pictures.....





Then we had dinner and cake in the evening with all of the grandparents (also known as the Daniel Fan Club). It was a small celebration, but just right. It was so fun for him. Seeing the joy on his face as we all sang was priceless. You could tell that he felt so special! He was having such fun blowing out the candles that we kept lighting them and singing and letting him blow out again. We decided we would make up for all the birthdays he missed so we sang and blew out candles 5 times. I think he knows what Birthday means now!!











2 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh gosh. So precious. You are right, I love the smile on his face as you sang happy birthday. He definately knew what was going on. You guys look like you are doing great. It is so nice to see.

Anonymous said...

Kelly you and Jason are super parents and Daniel is such a precious little boy...such a personality...I just love him to pieces....I still read the blog all the time to keep up with what is going on so thanks for updating it...This way we still feel a part of the adventure, even from Afar... Give him a hug for me!

Debbie