Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Goofy and Elmo

Yesterday Daniel got up, came into the living room, looked out the window and said, 'Look mom, it's goofy'. 'Do you see Goofy out there?' I ask. 'No - not see Goofy, it's goofy.' So of course, I had to go look. Goofy, Foggy - he had the letters right!

Every day when I drop him off we go over the rules for school. He says, 'No hitting, No throwing, No touch kids, No screaming, listen Mrs. Parr, and No touch kids with Elmo.' Well, Elmo, Elbow - he has the right idea!

We visited with relatives over the holiday weekend and they hadn't seen Daniel since the wedding in July. They were marveling at how much he has grown and how much his English has improved. We are with him every day and don't notice as much, but they were amazed. He's come a long way! I will have pictures as soon as I can upload from my camera!

We had a follow up home study appointment last night. Is it wrong to feel resentful of this? I know, I know - they have a huge responsibility authorizing people for adoptions. But we can't help but feel like, if we were his birth parents - no one would look in on us, count our smoke detectors, and peer into my medicine cabinets. It just seems like an insult. The appointment went fine. The lady was really nice. Of course, I felt compelled to clean the house from top to bottom, chase away all the dust bunnies, make the beds (you know, all that stuff I do EVERY day, yeah right!). It was really just to check in with us and make sure everyone is doing OK. It was fine, but we have another one in 2 months! Geez! When do they stop peering over our shoulders?

I just need to count my blessings. If this is what it takes to be his mom and dad - then we will do it. I just can't imagine life without our sweet Daniel!

No comments: