Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chores

For the summer, we have implemented a few new things at our house that we wanted to work on with Daniel but have been too wrapped up with school to think about! One of those things is weekly chores and an allowance. Not that he doesn't help out around the house but I made a list of all his chores for the week and put a chart on the refrigerator. Every time he completes a task, he gets a sticker. (It's really surprising to me how motivating a simple sticker can be!) At the end of the week, if he has completed most of his chores, he will get an allowance. We are going to use this opportunity to teach him about tithing and saving too.

Can I just tell you, it's a lot of work! It's so much quicker for me to just fold his laundry or run the dust buster in the bathroom myself, instead of supervising him doing it (which involves whining, correcting, complaining, dawdling, disctractions and all around silliness). But, I know it's important for him to contribute to the household and have some responsibilities. He is also very excited about earning some money!!

We have been totally lax about bed making (I know - my mom would be apalled!) but part of our chore chart is for him to make his bed every day. The first few times it was new and fun, but that has worn off and now it's just a chore. Not his favorite chore! But he is very meticulous and does a great job placing all of his 'pets' (as he calls them) in a nice lineup!






And, I have to show you this - I came in to his room the other day and he had written up some signs and taped them to the wall over his bed. It was so sweet, I just left it up. That tape will probably take off the paint, but it's just paint.










(I don't know if you can read that last one, but it says, 'God you are the best and you are a great God!') WOW!

No comments: