Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Camping Trip!!!

For those of you that know me, you know that camping would not be my first choice (or 2nd or 3rd) of a great time. But, now that I am the mom of a boy I told Jason I thought we should go camping and create some of those fun memories because while I don't think it's great Daniel would probably LOVE it!



So, we bought a tent, loaded up the car with everything essential I could think of and off we went to the lake for the weekend. Our friends from Indianapolis met us there with their boat and camper and we had a big weekend. We spent the night in our brand new tent on Friday. None of us got much sleep, I think from the excitement and strangeness of it all. Daniel was so excited!!! Then on Saturday we had a fun day on the lake, boating and riding the tube then we came back and roasted hot dogs, marshmellows and made s'mores and had great fun telling stories around the campfire. This is exactly what I had hoped for - what a great camping trip! Saturday night we were beat and knew we would sleep really good on our 2nd tent night.














Well, at 2:30am we started hearing thunder and at 3:00am the storm rolled in. So I thought, 'OK - this isn't terrible - it will rain for awhile and then tomorrow the sun will come out and dry everything off.' Yeah, right. What actually happened was it POURED down rain for five solid hours. I mean it was a total monsoon! Just when I thought it couldn't possibly rain any harder, it did. It was crazy! At first, it wasn't bad but after a few hours I started feeling drops on my face. Uh oh! We pulled our air mattress more toward the middle of the tent and pulled the blanket up over our heads. Daniel slept through the beginning, but then he woke up and said, 'Mom, we need to go home!' We couldn't pack up in the rain so we just hunkered down and toughed it out.


(on a side note - often when Daniel complains about something I will tell him, 'That's part of the fun!' Like this - 'That's part of the fun of eating a taco - a lot of it will drop out of the end.' OR 'That's part of the fun of splashing in puddles, you will get your feet wet.' OR 'That's part of the fun of eating s'mores, your fingers will be sticky.' So we are lying there trying to survive the monsoon and Daniel says to me, 'Mom - This is NOT part of the fun!' How right he was!)






The next morning, it was still raining. So we packed up all of our wet sleeping bags, duffel bags and sopping wet tent and headed home. We pitched the tent in our backyard to let it dry out before packing it away for our next adventure. When will that be? Hmmmm.....it might take me awhile to forget about this one and be willing to do it again. It was the perfect camping trip, right up until that crazy storm!

No comments: