Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Vacation cereal

I remember when I was a girl, we would go on summer vacation to Racoon Lake in Indiana. We would have a place at the lake for a week for swimming, fishing, boating and all sorts of fun. One of the special things my mom would do for that week is that I was allowed to pick out ANY CEREAL that I wanted for my vacation breakfast. I cannot tell you how exciting this was!!! All year long we weren't allowed to have cereal with sugar in it. So after eating Cheerios and Kix all year, this was definitely a big deal. My favorite cereal was Lucky Charms and I can still remember looking forward to vacation with such anticipation because I could finally have my much loved Lucky Charms!



I decided to repeat this tradition for Daniel. The place we stayed in Florida had a kitchen so we tried to eat meals there to save money. I told Daniel when we went to the grocery that he could pick out ANY CEREAL he wanted. Daniel has a really hard time making decisions, so I thought this might throw him for a loop (ha, ha!) but Jason said he knew what he wanted and went right to it. Oh, the power of those commercials!


I was happy to repeat this special tradition from my childhood for Daniel. Of course, it's not quite as exciting for him. Daniel isn't a big fan of cereal. I totally spoil him and make scrambled eggs or a smoothie most mornings for breakfast so cereal is a step down from that. But, he was pretty excited about having Fruit Loops, 'with SPRINKLES mom!'

No comments: