Thursday, October 15, 2009

Finally - an update!!

I know - it's been forever, right? I have been sick, so that's my excuse. I feel like I have been sick on and off (mostly on) ever since Daniel started Kindergarten. My immune system is a big wimp apparently. A gal at work told me it takes the first 6 months to build up immunity to all of those little kid germs. If I have to be sick for 6 months - I don't know if I can stand it.

The good news is - Daniel is healthy!! If one of us has to be sick, I am glad it's me! He is doing really great in school. He got his first report card. I am proud to report that he got all A's, with the exception of a C in PE. We expected that. He is behind the other kids in his strength and abilities. We are seeing leaps and bounds in progress though. He is able to do things now (like climbing etc. on the monkey bars) that he couldn't do when he first came home. We are so very proud of him. He knows all of his letters and numbers and the teacher said that they are very impressed with how great he is doing! She actually told me that he is a 'gifted' little boy and they expect big things from him. WOW! I mean, we thought he was smart but we don't have a point of comparison. For her to confirm it, is amazing!

God has blessed us with such a sweet boy. Tonight when he was saying prayers he said, 'Thank you for Mama and Papa and Daniel. I love all this.' We love you too sweet one. Life has changed completely since he has joined us and we're so happy with our new family.

We're so amazed at what a good sleeper he is. We put him to bed - and that's it, we don't hear from him again for 10 hours. A few times he has gotten up to go to the bathroom or to ask for a bandaid, but that's very rare. Usually he sleeps all the way through.

Jason had a surprise last week. I had set out Daniel's warm coat for a cold day and when they came down and saw it sitting there, Daniel said, 'That's not my coat. Daniel's coat is purple.' Who remembers the pictures from the orphanage? His famous purple coat? He never says anything about it, so we didn't know if he remembered it or not. Jason told him, 'No, this is your coat. You don't have the purple coat any more.' Daniel says, 'Oh - the purple coat is in my far away home.' That's the first time he's said anything about the orphanage. Once he gets more English, then more may come out. It was good to hear him speak about it.

I can't find the cord to upload pics from my camera so I will have to do that later. Tomorrow is Daniel's first field trip. I am taking a vacation day for the grand event and going with his class as a chaperone. I should have some good pics from that!

No comments: